Visas, Entry Points and Borders


Browse listings


1. NOTE THAT ZIMBABWE HAS REMOVED ALL COVID-19 REQUIREMENTS FOR TOURISM, allowing travellers to enter and exit the country freely, regardless of their vaccination status.

All passengers arriving in Zimbabwe (with the exception of returning residents) are required to complete this Immigration form. 


Citizens of  most Southern African (SADC) countries (including South Africa) do not require visas to enter Zimbabwe.  Other passport holders do need visas,  which can usually be purchased at your point of  entry. Be patient when dealing with officialdom at entry points. Expect delays.

Canadian passports: Single entry only: US$75

British and Irish passports:Single entry: US$55 (or equivalent in SARands or Pounds); Double entry:  US$$70.

Other passports (USA, Europe, Australia, New Zealand).  Single entry US$30 (or equivalent in SA Rands or Pounds); Double entry US$45 (or equivalent). 

For more detailed information about visas and costs for Zimbabwe see this Wild link:


or the Zimbabwe immigration website visa link

Note that citizens of some countries (Category C) need to apply for visas in advance.  They can do this online at or at the nearest Zimbabwean Embassy


TRAVELLING WITHIN THE REGION: Note that as from 2023, visitors from many countries can now enter Zambia and Botswana VISA-FREE. Please check the visa requirements for those countries for more info.

KAZA UNI-VISA:   Visitors who still require visas for entry to Zambia or Botswana, and wish to travel there from Zimbabwe, can obtain a KAZA UNI-VISA.

This very useful visa allows visitors to stay in either Zimbabwe or Zambia (or both) for up to 30 days for a single payment of US$50.   This saves time and money and enables much easier travel between the two countries (e.g. at Victoria Falls/Livingstone).

The KAZA Uni-visa is also valid for a DAY TRIP ONLY to Botswana from Victoria Falls through the Kazangula border.  Note that the visa expires or becomes invalid once a traveller spends a night outside Zimbabwe or Zambia.  Those wishing to stay a night or more in Botswana should buy a Double Entry Visa for that country which will allow them duel entries from any border within a period of 6 months. 

The KAZA Uni-visa is available on request at Victoria Falls, Harare, Livingstone, Lusaka ports of entry in Zimbabwe and Zambia and Kazungula border post.  Unfortunately it is not yet available (or accepted) at either Chirundu or Kariba border posts.



The main airport points of entry into Zimbabwe for visitors are at Harare, Victoria Falls and Bulawayo International Airports.

Access by road is via borderposts at Beitbridge (from South Africa), Plumtree or Kasane (from Botswana), Kazangula (from Zambia & Botswana), Victoria Falls, Kariba Dam and Chirundu (from Zambia), Mutare and Nyamapanda (from Mozambique).

The road borderposts in the Zambezi area are open at the following times:

Victoria Falls Bridge:  6.00a.m. - 10.00p.m.
Kazangula Border: 6.00a.m. - 8.00 p.m. 
Kazangula Bridge: 6.00a.m. - 10.00 p.m.
Kariba Dam: 6.00a.m. - 8.00 p.m.
Chirundu Bridge: 6.00a.m. - 10.00 p.m

Be careful not to arrive just before closing time. You may not be allowed through, even if there are still some minutes to go.

If you require some assistance in getting through the borderposts at Beitbridge, Victoria Falls, Kariba or Chirundu, the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority(ZTA)  has representatives who will assist (during working hours).  This service is free of charge.  Contact them in advance as follows:-

ZTA Beitbridge:- 
Area Manager: Bertha Mutowembwa   Mobile: +263 772 344317
or  Collins  - Mobile +263 783 599432.  ZTA official Tel +263 286 23640/1/2/3.
PLEASE NOTE that this assistance is NOT a 24-hour service.  The Zimbabwe Tourism Authority staff at Beitbridge work to ordinary office hours (8.00a.m. – 4.00p.m. Monday – Friday).  They are not available outside these hours nor at weekends.

Crossing Beitbridge is a very useful Facebook Page providing helpful information about the processes required in making a border crossing into Zimbabwe from South Africa at Beitbridge borderpost.  Their general guidelines below will assist you with how the process works at the border.

ZTA Victoria Falls:- Lindarose Ntuli – Mobile: +263 772 409373

ZTA Kariba (for crossing at Kariba or Chirundu)
Contact: Tapiwa Mpofu: or
Mobile: +263 776 235500 


Crossing borders in a Private Car

You will need the following documents:
   a. Copy of Certificate of Registration for the car and or trailer.
   b. Letter of authority if car and/or trailer is still under hire purchase or not in the driver's name.

For foreign registered cars - you need to apply for a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) online before your arrival at the border.  Here is the link:
To make use of the electronic system, you need either a mobile phone with internet access and access to the Google PlayStore, or a computer with internet access. After registering on your phone or computer, you can make an application for a TIP. After filling out your details, you will get a reference number which you show to the ZIMRA officer when you arrive.

1. Report to ZINARA to buy Bridge Toll Fees (Beitbridge) & obtain a Gatepass
2. Report to Immigration.
   (a) Returning Resident hand in passport together with gatepass.
   (b) Tourist – Fill in Immigration Form 1 and if applicable apply and pay for VISAS.
3. Fill in Temporary Import Permit (TIP) (Foreign Registered Cars) or provide the Zimra officer with the TIP reference number you were sent when you applied online (see above)
   (a) Approach Zimra officers for confirmation of vehicle details.
   (b) Go to Zimra counter to pay:
        (i) Carbon tax (US$10)
        (ii) Third Party Insurance (US$30 per month or US$50 for 3 months)
        (iii) Road Access (US$10 single trip).
4. Returning Residents and locals pay Road Access Fees at Zimra counters.
5. Both Tourists and Returning Residents go to ZRP Police Post for inward vetting of papers by Police. You need to present:
   (a) Certificate of Registration for the car
   (b) Authority to drive car across the border if car is not owned the driver.
   (c) Gate pass.
   (d) Processed Temporary Import Permit for tourists/visitors
   (e) Receipt for Road Access Fees for Returning Residents/Locals.
   (f) Receipts for Customs duties if you have paid for any duties.
6. Release Stage:
   (a) Green Route – No goods to declare/goods imported with a value not exceeding the duty free allowance of USD200.00 per person per calendar month.
Release is done after verification by Compliance Officers at Arrivals by stamping of declaration form.

Red Route – Duty Calculation/Controlled or Commercial goods.
   (b)Release is done after verification by Compliance Officers at Arrivals by stamping of declaration form and/or duty receipt.

Comments (5)

Can I buy a Temp Import permit on line before I enter Zim and if so through who ?

Brett Ferguson26 January 2023
UPDATE in 2023 - You can now apply for a Temporary Import Permit online at this link:


Letitia Cooper6 August 2022
Thank you for your inquiry. You will find the answer to your question (and many other details about self-driving in Zimbabwe) at the following link posted by Big Sky:- . (You can also download a PDF of their advice at the end of the linked page). Although the travel advice article is dated 2018, it has been updated and is relevant in 2022. Wishing you safe travels and a wonderful holiday! WILD ZAMBEZI

what charges are there at the boarder when driving your own car what will it cost i am a south african with gauteng number plates

Warren Bass11 November 2019
You will find a great deal of useful information about border charges on the Crossing Beitbridge Facebook page. Here is the link: We suggest you have a browse through there for the latest tariffs. Hope you will find what you want. WILD ZAMBEZI

Is the Pandamatenga border post no longer open? I don't see it mentioned and we are hoping to use it later in June 2018. Best regards

Joanna Wright 7 June 2018
This borderpost is indeed still open and is a very quiet place to enter Zimbabwe. The only reason that it isn't referred to in our Travel Advice on is that it is in the Hwange area which is outside our area of focus (we are exclusively focused on the wild areas of the Zambezi River). But it's quite fine and a good choice for entry. Good luck and have a wonderful time! WILD ZAMBEZI

Can I purchase a Kaza visa upon my entry into Zimbabwe from Kasane Botswana?

Robert Peterson30 May 2018
Hi Robert. Yes, we believe you can at the moment (May 2018). Wild Zambezi.

Post a comment

Enter the three characters from the image on the right. This helps prevent automated 'bots' from submitting spam to the site. This field is NOT case-sensitive. If the characters are a bit hard to see, try refreshing the code by clicking the image.

Browse listings

Enter your details below to subscribe to the Wild Zambezi newsletter.


Enter your details below to subscribe to the Wild Zambezi newsletter.

* indicates required